Cedar Planked Salmon Recipe
Where this recipe calls for lemon zest and rosemary, the native Coast Salish Indians on Vancouver Island would use grand-fir needles. Either way, the salmon takes on a light, smoky woodiness from grilling on a cedar plank, for a lovely pairing of earth and ocean.
- 1 Soak the cedar planks for at least 1 hour in Warm Water.
- 2 Soak longer if you have time.
- 3 In a shallow dish, stir together the Vegetable Oil, Rice Vinegar, Sesame Oil, Soy Sauce, Green Onion, Ginger, and Garlic.
- 4 Place the salmon fillets in the marinade and turn to coat.
- 5 Cover and marinate for at least 15 minutes, or up to one hour.
- 6 Preheat an outdoor grill for medium heat. Place the planks on the grate.
- 7 The boards are ready when they start to smoke and crackle just a little.
- 8 Place the salmon fillets onto the planks and discard the marinade.
- 9 Cover, and grill for about 20 minutes. Fish is done when you can flake it with a fork.
- 10 It will continue to cook after you remove it from the grill.